Chronology

Muroran Institute of Technology was established in May 1949 as a national institute under the provisions of the National School Establishment Law, by combining the Civil Engineering Department of Sapporo Agricultural College founded in 1887 and Muroran Higher Technical School founded in 1939.
The alumni of the Institute and its predecessors have entered into various fields of academic, industrial and social activities and are making significant contributions to the society.

 

In 1960 a Junior College with a three-year evening course was attached to the Institute mainly for students employed in private industries. In 1964 it became the Faculty of Engineering with five-year evening program.

 

In 1965 the Graduate School was established with a two-year Master’s course.
In order to keep pace with the development of new technologies, the Institute was reorganized in April 1990 from the thirteen departments of the Undergraduate Course (including the Faculty of Engineering) into the following six departments: Civil Engineering and Architecture, Mechanical Systems Engineering, Computer Science and Systems Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Applied Chemistry. Each department comprises large Chairs which are expected to meet the social demands in various fields.

 

Also in 1990, the Graduate School was reorganized into six divisions for the Master’s Course, corresponding to the above six Undergraduate departments, and into the following four Divisions for the newly added Doctor’s Courses: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Production and Information Systems Engineering, Chemical and Materials Engineering, and the most recent division, Science for Composite Functions, which was added in April 2000.

 

In April 2008 Master’s Degrees in Aerospace Engineering, System Engineering for Public Works, and System Engineering for Mathematics System Engineering were established.

 

In April 2009 The undergraduate departments of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Mechanical Systems Engineering, Computer Science and Systems Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering were reorganized into the departments of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Materials Engineering, Applied Sciences, and Information and Electronic Engineering.
The Master’s Degree divisions of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Mechanical Systems Engineering, Computer Science and Systems Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering were reorganized into the divisions of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Mechanical systems and Materials, Applied Sciences and Information and Electronic Engineering.
The Doctor’s Degree divisions of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Production and Information systems Engineering, Chemical and Materials Engineering, and Science for Composite Functions were reorganized into the divisions of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Production and Information Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical and Materials Engineering, and Engineering for Composite Functions.

 

In April 2014 The Master’s Degree divisions of Civil Engineering and Architecture, System Engineering for Public Works, Mechanical Systems and Materials Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Applied Sciences, Information and Electronic Engineering, System Engineering for Mathematics were reorganized into the divisions of Sustainable and Environmental Engineering, Production Systems Engineering, Information and Electronic Engineering.

The Doctor’s Degree divisions of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Production and Information Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical and Materials Engineering, Engineering for Composite Functions were reorganized into the divisions of Engineering.

PAGE TOP